Voter Education/Registration Program
"A Voteless People Is A Hopeless People"
"A Voteless People is a Hopeless People" was initiated as a National Program of Alpha during the 1930's when many African-Americans had the right to vote but were prevented from voting because of poll taxes, threats of reprisal, and lack of education about the voting process. Voter education and registration has remained a dominant focus of this outreach activity for over 65 years. In the 1990's, the focus has shifted to include political awareness and empowerment, delivered most frequently through town meetings and candidate forums.
A Voteless People is a Hopeless People Program Documents:
Download Curriculum Guide
Download Implementation Guide
Record the number of voters registered
First of All...We Vote Logo:
Black and Gold [PMS 132] Raster Image
Black and White Raster Image
Federal Election Commission (USA)
National State Voter Registration Deadlines
Voting Location Locator For additional information, contact the A Votless People is a Hopeless People Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you and your chapter are approved in your state to do a Voter Registration Drive (VRD), then you are ready to enter the fight to register voters. If you are not registered to do a VRD, don’t worry. You can still make an impact by partnering with other organizations and assisting their voter registration efforts. So how can you make a difference? See the steps below:
You can’t do anything unless you are sure that YOU are registered to vote:
- Go to http://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/ and register to vote. Hey, sometimes brothers move from place to place and don’t get registered right away. We understand, but now is the time.
- Check with your loved ones and see if they have registered. Your wife or (voting age) child might have moved with you. What about your co-workers? Church members? Chapter brothers? Are they registered to vote? Take a second to ask them. Then let them use your computer (and printer) and take them to the link above. You can also e-mail the link to them so they can pass it on!
Is there a chapter in your area certified to do a VRD where you can go help out?
- Go to http://www.alpha-phi-alpha.com/SearchChapter.php, enter the state or city where you are located and contact other chapters to see if they are certified.
- Or, you could always reach out to your district director or the secretary of state in which you are located.
- If none of these suggestions are helpful you can always go tohttp://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/ click on the “Find an Event” page, enter your ZIP code and contact the nearest VRD to see if they need assistance.
- REMEMBER: wear your Alpha gear and take plenty of pictures. Go to http://www.alpha-phi-alpha.com/Page.php?id=167 and download the official “First of All, We Vote” logo and make shirts and other items that help get the word out. [This logo is for chapter usage only and not for resale.]
Are you a college brother or do you know a college brother looking to make an impact on campus but needs more information?
- Go to http://www.studentvoteproject.org/ and click on “Getting Started.” This site is a wealth of information for college brothers like you.
Want to see the voter registration toolkit for non-profits?
- Click here to check out the non-profit voter registration toolkit.
- Also, go to http://www.nonprofitvote.org/ and see some of the ways you can educate people about voting in their state.